Saturday, June 11, 2011

Isamu Noguchi!


I discovered Isamu Noguchi (I hear you scoffing, I know, I'm late) at the Abstract Expressionist New York Exhibit (100 masterpieces from MoMA) at the AGO. Though magnificent, his work was completely over shadowed by the Pollocks hanging in the adjacent room (seriously, it was as if I had died and went to heaven...I stared at Number 1A and sighed happily for a good ten minutes). However, Noguchi's work crawled his way back into my life. Without knowing it, I had actually photographed and admired his work long before knowing who he is while in Manhattan last month.

I am now completely and utterly in love with his work. I mean, check out these floating fountains!

I really want to know the inner machinations for these two. Just incredible in general, especially against the night sky.

I've fallen in love with his sculptures. They're so raw and timeless because of their abstraction. They take on a character of their own, silent, indiscriminate, but seemingly aware of their own presence within their context. I'll post a couple of sculptures that I like below so hopefully you can see what I mean.



No comments:

Post a Comment